On this page
About Modern Apprenticeships Services for employers
Services for apprentices Industries we cover Regions we cover
Modern Apprenticeships with
G&H Training have been involved with Modern Apprenticeships since its inception in July 2000. Throughout the country, only twelve coordinators were selected to take part in the pilot phase for Modern Apprenticeships, and G&H Training were one of these. Today, G&H Training coordinate apprentices across a range of industries, including building and construction, painting, joinery, furniture making, road transport and plumbing and gasfitting.
About Modern Apprenticeships
There is no cost to employers or apprentices for this service. It is fully funded by the Tertiary Education Commission. For more information click here to visit the Modern Apprenticeship website.
Modern Apprenticeships is a work-based education initiative for young people. It combines the best of the old style apprenticeships with additional support features designed to help more young people on the job training, where they work towards achieving a national qualification.
- Modern Apprenticeships is a quality training pathway for young people.
- Modern Apprenticeships attracts, motivates and enables young New Zealanders aged 16-21 into industry careers.
- Modern Apprenticeships is a programme designed to help these young people to attain all of the knowledge, safety skills, quality craftsmanship and National Certificates that are needed to become competent and qualified in their chosen trade.
- Modern Apprenticeships is designed to remove the risk, red tape and down time that has previously hampered employers from taking on and training young people.
- Modern Apprenticeships Coordinators know the industry and will work with the Industry Training Organisation to register and facilitate the training agreement.
Back to top
Services to Employers
With the assistance of a Modern Apprenticeships Coordinator, taking on an apprentice is made easier. A Modern Apprenticeship Coordinator will:
- Assist in finding a Modern Apprentice who is capable, motivated, reliable and suitable to meet your requirements.
- Work with you and your Modern Apprentice to develop a personal training plan that will help the apprentice to achieve their National Certificate.
- Regularly visit your Modern Apprentice to review progress and set new learning goals.
- Be available to help and advise with any issues that you or your Modern Apprentice may have about the training.
- Assist to transfer or relocate your Modern Apprentice if your work load should reduce or if you are unable to continue offering the training needed.
- Carpentry employers have access to G&H Trainings tutors. They can mark your apprentice's theory units. To access this service attach a Theory Assessment Request Form and either hand the assessment to your coordinator or post to P O Box 3378, Napier. Assessments will be marked and back in the post within 7 days.
Back to top
Services to Apprentices
Your Modern Apprenticeships Coordinator will:
- Be your personal mentor.
- Ensure you complete your training with an employer who offers top quality employment-based training.
- Work with you and your employer to develop a personal training plan tailored to your needs. The plan will set out exactly what you need to learn and how you're going to get there.
- Regularly visit you to review your progress against your personal training plan and make sure you're on target to successfully complete your apprenticeship.
- Be available to help you to deal with any questions or hassles you may have during your Modern Apprenticeship.
- have access to G&H Training Carpentry tutors at the local branch. Contact your coordinator for more details.
- can click here to email us if you have a theory question you can't find an answer to. We will endeavour to email the answer back within 24 hours Monday to Friday, or on the first working day after the weekend or a public holiday.
Back to top
G&H Training coordinate the following industries:
- Building and Construction
- includes: carpentry, plastering, tiling, concreting, and brick and blocklaying.
- Painting and Decorating
- includes: painting, painting and decorating.
- includes: furniture making, upholstery, finishing, bedding manufacture and steel furniture manufacture.
- includes: joinery craftsperson, laminate fabrication, cabinetry, aluminium fabrication and flat glass glazing.
- Plumbing and Gasfitting
- includes: plumbing, gasfitting, drainlaying and roofing
- Road Transport
- including: goods service, heavy rigid vehicles and heavy combination vehicles, large passenger service, transport of waste and recoverable resources, and office administration.
Back to top
G&H Training coordinate the Modern Apprenticeships for the above industries in the following regions:
Click here for contact information in each region
- Northland - except Road Transport
- Bay of Plenty - Road Transport only
- Eastern - except for Gisborne and Wairoa districts
- Central - including New Plymouth and Manawatu
- Wellington - including Wairarapa
Back to top